Friday 11 January 2013

Stanley Hammers

Stanley Hammers

Some old Stanley hammers -- I like the look of old tools, so these old timers are my favorites. The large plain face nail hammer on the right is a Stanley #91 1/2. The traditional bell shaped nail hammer is marked Stanley, and I don't know who made the framing hammer. Some of my other hammers include these two small hammers, each less than 6 oz. I use the one with the brass head to tap the irons in wooden planes. Also an Osborne tack hammer, an old cobbler's hammer marked Crispin, Yellow Label, Whitcher, Boston, and a 12 oz French pattern hammer marked Acier Fondu.Joiner's mallets -- The beech mallet on the right is a Marples #7715, and the one on the left was shop made from desert ironwood. The head on this mallet is considerably heavier than the beech mallet, and the hickory hammer handle fits my hands much better. The two mallets with cast iron heads were found in an antique store. They are machinists hammers, and typically have copper and rolled rawhide inserts. I made rolled leather inserts for one using belt leather. This is my favorite mallet for driving a tenon into a mortise joint. The other has leather faced hardwood inserts, easy on a wooden surface, but with less give than the rolled belt leather.

 Stanley Hammers

 Stanley Hammers

 Stanley Hammers

 Stanley Hammers

 Stanley Hammers

 Stanley Hammers

 Stanley Hammers

 Stanley Hammers

 Stanley Hammers

No comments:

Post a Comment